Pear-Cranberry and Maple-Walnut Crumble
for the 3.5 Qt. Buffet Casserole
When fresh cranberries aren’t in season, you’ll probably find them in the freezer section. Just defrost them and they’ll work fine in the recipe.
- 5 large firm, ripe Anjou or Bartlett pears, peeled , cored, & sliced
- 1 lb. cranberries, rinsed, sorted & picked over to remove stems
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg (preferably fresh grated)
- 1 cup rolled oats (not instant)
- 1/3 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup maple sugar (see note)
- 1 stick plus 2 Tbsp. butter, cut into 1/2” pieces
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts
Note: If you can’t find maple sugar, use 2/3-cup of the brown sugar & drizzle 2 tablespoons maple syrup over the fruit & mix well before adding the sugar & cinnamon.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
In the 3.5 Qt. Buffet Casserole, toss pears, cranberries, sugar, and 1/4- teaspoon cinnamon until well mixed. Combine the oats, brown sugar, maple sugar, butter, flour, the remaining 1/4 –teaspoon cinnamon, & the chopped walnuts in a mixing bowl; blend with fingertips until mixture is a coarse meal. Sprinkle the oat mixture over the fruit and pat down lightly.
Bake until the pears are tender & the topping is golden, about 45 minutes. If the top is browning too quickly, lay a piece of foil, shiny side up, over the top.
This is great served warm with vanilla ice cream. This serves 6 to 8.
Back to Top